Uprating Wages for Inflation
Can you please assist me with this?
As data collection for each wave in conducted over a 2-year period, when using the wage variables is it necessary to uprate wages to allow for inflation when using one wave or is this already taken into account for a particular wave?
#1 Updated by Stephanie Auty over 1 year ago
- Category set to Income
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Assignee set to Stephanie Auty
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
Many thanks for your enquiry. The Understanding Society team is looking into it and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Stephanie Auty - Understanding Society User Support Officer
#2 Updated by Stephanie Auty over 1 year ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Feedback
- Assignee changed from Stephanie Auty to Nhlanhla Ndebele
- Target version set to X M
- % Done changed from 10 to 70
Dear Nhlanhla Ndebele,
The data is not adjusted for inflation but we are not able to provide advice on whether it is necessary. You will need to decide based on what you are using the data for and the conventions of the literature you are writing in. The ONS most likely provide price indices that might be helpful in adjusting the UKHLS wage data.