SOC90 reliability flag and parental occupation when the respondent was aged 14 years
Dear User Support,
1) Could you please confirm the coding of the SOC90 reliability flag variables? - i.e. does 1 indicate unreliable and 0 reliable? (I'm guessing this way round due to the distribution of a_jbsocstatus).
2) Is there any information on the employment status of parents when the respondent was aged 14 years (i.e. an equivalent variable to a_jbes2000 that is available for respondents)? As far as I can see, there is only SOC information available. I would like to create NS-SeC variables for respondents' parents, but to derive the full method NS-SeC, this would require extra information such as: whether parents were employed versus self-employed, had a supervisory role, the size of their organisation etc. Is there any extra information of this type available? Also, is it possible to determine whether parents were working full- or part- time in their recorded occupation (when the respondent was aged 14 years)?
#1 Updated by Redmine Admin about 8 years ago
- Category set to 8
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Assignee set to Redmine Admin
- Target version set to X M
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
Thanks for your request. We are planning to release job title coded to latest SOC classification (for UKHLS: 2000 or 2010 as relevant) and the NS-SEC as a derived variable. The most detailed SOC variables would be subject to Special License release only. For family background we are planning to derive this using the simplified NS-SEC method (ONS link to NS-SEC). SOC90 is likely to be discontinued. I hope to be able to update this thread soon with more details of the exact plans for releasing occupational variables.
#2 Updated by Lorraine Waller about 8 years ago
Thank you for this update, Jakob. I have myself created NS-SeC for parents using the simplified method (with special license data), but was hoping that there might be more (as yet unreleased) information allowing derivation of NS-SeC with the reduced or full methods. I believe from your response that this is not the case though. Could you also confirm the coding of the SOC90 flag please?
Thank you again for your help.
#3 Updated by Redmine Admin about 8 years ago
- Target version changed from X M to M1
- % Done changed from 20 to 80
We are not collecting the additional variables required for the full or reduced method to code family background (interviewer time and data quality considerations). SOC90 is unlikely to be included in the next re-release. The flag was an intermediate variable not meant for release.