From 05/03/2012 to 06/01/2012
- 10:22 AM Support #60 (Closed): SL Version W2 Interim Relaease
- 10:21 AM Support #60: SL Version W2 Interim Relaease
- please see #57
- 10:20 AM Support #57: urban rural coding issue
- The full urban-rural classifications have so far only been released on the full Mainstage Wave 1 Special License data...
- 01:53 PM Support #61: HOUSEHOLD INCOME
- We are in the process of documenting the methodology for deriving the income variables.
I will send you an email as ...
- 11:43 AM Support #61: HOUSEHOLD INCOME
- Ethan, Please see #36
- 11:06 AM Support #61 (Closed): HOUSEHOLD INCOME
- Please can you tell me how you calculate household income from the understanding society questionnaire? I would be gr...
- 10:48 AM Support #60 (Closed): SL Version W2 Interim Relaease
- Jakob, Which study number holds the SL version of the W2 interim release? I was very pleased when you told me I could...
- 09:54 AM Support #58 (In Progress): Youth Wave 1 data
- 09:52 AM Support #58: Youth Wave 1 data
The Mainstage Wave 1 Youth file (N=4,899) contains the questionnaire responses from 11-15 year olds in respo...
- 09:39 AM Support #59: Linking BHPS - Understanding Society
- NATCHILD records both resident and non-resident children (together identified by childno) - only the former will have...
- 05:55 PM Support #59: Linking BHPS - Understanding Society
- Thanks, Jacob.
The file a_natchild has 26 observations which are not uniquely identified by hidp and childno (an...
- 03:18 PM Support #59 (In Progress): Linking BHPS - Understanding Society
> 1. Is there any documentation that allows me to easily check whether a BHPS variable is available in Un...
- 02:46 PM Support #59 (Closed): Linking BHPS - Understanding Society
- I am using BHPs data and wish to link it a) to the BHPS sample households in Understanding Society, and b) use a pool...
- 09:21 AM Support #58 (Closed): Youth Wave 1 data
- Hello. I have downloaded the Wave 1 youth dataset and have 4,899 individuals. This total does not marry up with the f...
- 12:00 PM Support #57: urban rural coding issue
- Thank you. Please tell me the SN for the special liceence version with full urbanity classification for the US Wave 2...
- 11:40 AM Support #57 (In Progress): urban rural coding issue
- 11:39 AM Support #57: urban rural coding issue
The full urban-rural classification is only on the "Special License version":https://www.understandingsociety.a...
- 10:49 AM Support #57 (Closed): urban rural coding issue
- I am trying to continue analyses I have carried out with the 18 waves of BHPS with the inclusion of the BHPS incorpor...
- 11:18 AM Support #53 (In Progress): "Events" variable BHPS
From the following you can add W11 to the list of waves where Important-Events were collected
- 07:47 PM Support #51: a_indinus_xw weight=0
- Thank you! This makes sense.
- 05:02 PM Support #51: a_indinus_xw weight=0
- The proxy weight of 0 in indresp is given to temporary sample members whom we will not follow in the future. These ar...
- 01:47 PM Support #56 (Closed): BHPS Variable problem
- I have a problem understanding the data for the BHPS variable on asthma, wHLPRXE, which is available for waves K and ...
- 01:16 PM Support #51: a_indinus_xw weight=0
- Thank you for your response! I believe when I compare the a_indinus_xw and the a_indpxus_xw weights, proxy respondent...
- 11:34 AM Support #51: a_indinus_xw weight=0
- inresp dataset consists of proxy and full respondents. If you are using information available for proxy respondents, ...
- 12:46 PM Support #54: Weights for youth self-completion data
- No such weights were developed for the interim release. We are considering to release such weights in the future, alt...
- 10:41 AM Support #54 (Closed): Weights for youth self-completion data
- I'm interested in looking at the Youth self-completion (10-15 years old) data across wave 1 and wave 2 (interim rel...
- 12:43 PM Support #55: Do weights adjust for non-independence of children within households?
Thank you for your question. Weights do not adjust for so-called clustering or nesting within households. T...
- 10:44 AM Support #55 (Closed): Do weights adjust for non-independence of children within households?
- I wanted to know whether the weights provided for the youth self-completion data adjust for the problem of non-indepe...
- 11:44 AM Support #50 (Closed): Comparison to LFS
- 11:11 AM Support #50: Comparison to LFS
- Thanks, this makes sense.
- 10:14 AM Support #53 (Closed): "Events" variable BHPS
For my research on repossessions in the UK mortgage market I am studying the BHPS SN 5151 database.
In the B...
- 02:48 PM Support #50: Comparison to LFS
The early findings volume was published in Feb 2011 and the analysis was done in Oct-Nov 2010 using the data...
- 10:36 AM Support #52: Components of weighting variable a_indinus_xw
- Sometimes it is indeed a good approach to model nonresponse as part of the model. If you want to do it, please make s...
- 01:00 AM Support #52 (Closed): Components of weighting variable a_indinus_xw
I am considering whether to run my regressions with weight a_indinus_xw vs. running my regressions with unwei...
- 06:54 AM Support #51 (Closed): a_indinus_xw weight=0
I was wondering if you could confirm that that the a_indinus_xw weight variable should contain 3,933 observat...
- 09:07 AM Support #44 (Closed): Weighting on a restricted sample (outcome=110)
- 09:06 AM Support #45 (In Progress): BHPS year first job
- The life event job history module was asked of the GB sample at Wave2, the Scotland and Wales extension samples Wave1...
- 08:47 AM Support #43 (Closed): Weighting-related questions
- 01:19 PM Support #45: BHPS year first job
- Just to clarify - According to Vol A the LLIFEMST file is only for respondents from Northern Ireland (p.A3-70)?
- 07:20 PM Support #43: Weighting-related questions
- Thank you!
- 06:14 PM Support #43: Weighting-related questions
- No, you don't need to include a_hidp in addition to a_psu. Households are nested within psu, so controlling for psu w...
- 12:15 PM Support #49 (Closed): "SPONTANEOUS" response category
- 12:02 PM Support #49: "SPONTANEOUS" response category
- Thanks, Jakob.
- 12:00 PM Support #49 (In Progress): "SPONTANEOUS" response category
Yes, SPONTANEOUS is a valid response code, that isn't prompted or printed on showcards, etc.
- 08:48 AM Support #49 (Closed): "SPONTANEOUS" response category
- Hello: I see that for certain questions, in the online documentation, it says "SPONTANEOUS" (for example, variable a_...
- 12:01 PM Support #50: Comparison to LFS
- Hi Jakob:
I downloaded the data in Jan 2012, so I think it is the most current version. Using the INDALL file gives m...
- 11:26 AM Support #50 (In Progress): Comparison to LFS
There could be different reasons to why you get slightly different results. The most important is probably ver...
- 10:58 AM Support #50 (Closed): Comparison to LFS
- Hello: I am looking at the report "APPENDIX: UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY DESIGN OVERVIEW" which I believe is Chapter 15 of ...
- 04:19 PM Support #48 (In Progress): Height variable in wave 16 of BHPS
Thanks for raising this coding issue. Values 8 and 9 were for some BHPS variables used as missing value codes...
- 10:02 AM Support #43: Weighting-related questions
- Thank you for your help!
One general follow-up question to one of your prior responses that "a_psu_dv, a_strata_d...
- 11:57 AM Support #43: Weighting-related questions
- Yes, you will need to use the weight for extra five minutes a_ind5mus_xw, simply because by using at least one variab...
- 10:32 PM Support #43: Weighting-related questions
- Thank you so much for your response!
I have one last question: I AM interested in studying ethnic minorities (tho...
- 08:15 PM Support #48 (Closed): Height variable in wave 16 of BHPS
- Dear Support Team,
I have a question about the height variables in wave 16 of the BHPS. The height in inches vari...
- 04:01 PM Support #45: BHPS year first job
- Apologies - you need to look at the job history questions asked under "Life Events section":http://www.iser.essex.ac....
- 03:08 PM Support #45: BHPS year first job
- Hi Jakob,
Thank you for your message. Can you please confirm that there is no variable containing the YEAR of first j...
- 02:18 PM Support #40 (Closed): School Code (Schcode)
- 01:55 PM Support #40: School Code (Schcode)
- Ok, thank you for your help.
Also available in: Atom