From 03/29/2016 to 04/27/2016
- 05:07 PM Support #550: Interview date
- Thanks Vicotria,
that is helpful, as a follow up:
At least in the BHPS (haven't checked US yet) there are vars wh...
- 03:25 PM Support #556 (Closed): Death in BHPS and US
- How can I determine whether an individual in BHPS has died at following waves, including during their time in Underst...
- 03:22 PM Support #555 (Closed): Household and individual income components
- We are researching changes in household income over time, and are interested in determining which components (labour ...
- 07:15 PM Support #553: Measuring highest level of education in both the BHPS and US data
- Hi Vanessa,
further to Victoria's response, I am now uploading the code that we run to create a proxy for the Unders...
- 03:47 PM Support #553 (In Progress): Measuring highest level of education in both the BHPS and US data
- Hi Vanessa,
Many thanks for your enquiry and for transferring it to the user support forum.
Please can I refer ...
- 03:38 PM Support #553 (Closed): Measuring highest level of education in both the BHPS and US data
- Dear Victoria,
I noted that you responded to a colleague’s question on this matter, but provided the solution via...
- 05:34 PM Support #554 (Closed): Special license data for non-UK issues
- Hi there,
I'm a PhD student from the U.S.. I'm working with my professors on a social exclusion project that co...
- 03:03 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita,
I have been trying to do the steps Gundi mentioned was done in stata in spss. Is there a possibility of g...
- 10:47 AM Support #551 (Resolved): Hiqual_dv derivation
- 10:08 AM Support #551: Hiqual_dv derivation
- Hi Emily,
we are aware that there are, unfortunately, problems with the correct display of some of the variable note...
- 09:22 AM Support #551 (Closed): Hiqual_dv derivation
- I am looking for information about how the hiqual_dv variable is derived. I have found on the website the following i...
- 10:19 AM Support #550 (Feedback): Interview date
- Dear Christoph,
Advance letters are sent to adults living in households that we are issuing to field. The advance ...
- 10:12 AM Support #545 (Closed): I would like data for C-reactive protein
- 10:12 AM Support #539 (Closed): matlv: Had period of maternity/paternity leave
- 10:12 AM Support #542 (Closed): Partner Relationship Quality Measure
- 10:11 AM Support #544 (Feedback): Background informations on the questions in BHPS/US data regarding gender equality
- Dear Thea,
Many thanks for your enquiry and I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
These questions are...
- 07:06 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita,
Thank you for you help.
- 02:15 PM Support #549: self employment
- The variable w_Jb2pay_dv relates to second job, not self-employment, and it is monthly gross income.
- 02:06 PM Support #543: household income
- 1. For net income for BHPS please take a look at the net income files also available from the UKDA Study Number 3909
- 11:28 AM Support #543: household income
- I think I need to compute equivalent variables to netinc1 and hhnetinc1 with the BHPS - can you clarify what '31 rent...
- 10:08 PM Support #550 (Closed): Interview date
I am wondering how interview dates came about mainly in the BHPS, but also US.
How much control over interv...
- 12:58 PM Support #548 (Feedback): Age variables BHPS and UKHLS
- Hi Christa,
the variables wage in the BHPS and w_dvage in the UKHLS report the respondent's age at the time of the i...
- 11:03 AM Support #549 (Closed): self employment
- Is e_jb2pay_dv a gross figure - it doesn't say on your web, as neither does it in the datafile, p90 of the user guide...
- 03:31 PM Support #548 (Closed): Age variables BHPS and UKHLS
I was wondering which age-variables to use in my analyses of both the BHPS and UKHLS data? The BHPS provides...
- 02:50 PM Support #547 (Resolved): Socio-economic status parents BHPS and UKHLS
- Dear Christa,
masoc and pasoc on the BHPS data file XWAVEDAT report the 3-digit SOC 1990. The corresponding variable...
- 01:50 PM Support #547 (Closed): Socio-economic status parents BHPS and UKHLS
I would like to compare 18-39 year old respondents from BHPS waves 13-17 with those from UKHLS waves 1-5. On...
- 09:31 AM Support #511 (In Progress): SCEVERDRNK variable Wave 2
- Dear Orla,
Many thanks for your enquiry. We are just consulting with colleagues on this and will get backto you as...
- 07:07 AM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Dear Zoe,
Our remit at the User Forum is to answer queries related to Understanding Society data and provide gener...
- 04:29 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Dear Zoe,
Many thanks for your email.
The status of all posts is changed to public after we have verified that ...
- 03:19 PM Support #543: household income
- Thank you. Could you confirm that BHPS does not have an equivalent variable - it appears that the household level var...
- 02:08 PM Support #541: Health conditions module
- This doesn't appear to be the case with the health questions in BHPS - HLPRBA to HLPRBM, as these appear (by the lack...
- 10:51 AM Support #541: Health conditions module
- Thank you. As there do not appear to be these health questions in the xwave data compiled for all respondents, does t...
- 09:14 AM Support #541 (Feedback): Health conditions module
- Dear David,
Many thanks for your enquiry. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I was consulting with c...
- 09:24 AM Support #533 (Closed): Using the ego_alt datafile
- 09:24 AM Support #535 (Closed): Creating duration of marriage variable
- 09:20 AM Support #531 (Closed): Context of blood sampling
- 09:42 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Gundi
Re your message:
I am not familiar with SPSS but I have written Stata code to identify all those respond...
- 01:54 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita,
I am having trouble still with the merge. I have been able to do the merge for a and b but when i try to ...
- 02:33 PM Support #511: SCEVERDRNK variable Wave 2
I just wanted to follow-up on my earlier question relating to variable SCEVERDRNK (Wave 2). I've downloaded...
- 02:42 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- I am sorry Zoe we are not allowed to send these data directly. You should be able to do this appending without using ...
- 01:23 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita
I have already changed the macro to say indall as instructed in the documents to merge multiple files
- 12:37 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hello Zoe,
The macro ukhlscombine allows you to combine different wave indresp files. You are using indall files. ...
- 11:39 AM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alia,
I have tried throughout the night and I still get an error message when I run the syntax, however the files...
- 06:18 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita,
I am having trouble running the macro. I keep getting line 45 REN Var - Undefined variable name. I have ...
- 05:17 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- It has now been uploaded and you will find it in the online Moodle course "Introduction to Understanding Society Usin...
- 04:55 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Gundi,
Can you please tell me where I can get UKHLScombine.sps?
- 04:25 PM Support #545: I would like data for C-reactive protein
- Just to add:
If you go to the Understanding Society website and use the search function, you can get to any variab...
- 04:22 PM Support #545 (Resolved): I would like data for C-reactive protein
- Dear Gemma,
The C-Reactive protein data can be found in the nurse health assessment data (collected at waves 2 and...
- 03:44 PM Support #545 (Closed): I would like data for C-reactive protein
I would like to access the data for C-reactive protein as I wish to look at its association with job charac...
- 04:04 PM Support #539 (Resolved): matlv: Had period of maternity/paternity leave
- Dear Muzhi,
Many thanks for your enquiry. This may have been done to reflect maternity and paternity leave rules a...
- 09:42 AM Support #544 (Closed): Background informations on the questions in BHPS/US data regarding gender equality
I'm using the British Household Panel data 1991-2007 in my master thesis. I'm especially interested in the sur...
- 04:55 PM Support #537 (In Progress): Merged File Request
- Hi Zoe,
you are right; it is very difficult to explain all this in text. The process of identifying those in care/fo...
- 03:45 PM Support #543 (Resolved): household income
- Dear David,
Many thanks for your enquiry.
hhnetinc1 does not include additional deductions from income over and...
- 02:55 PM Support #543 (Closed): household income
- The on-line documentation says that hhnetinc1 is the monthly total household net income - no deductions; and that fih...
- 09:56 AM Support #542 (Feedback): Partner Relationship Quality Measure
- Dear Meg,
Many thanks for your enquiry. These questions were taken from the Dyadic Adjustment Scale (DAS) - unfort...
- 03:56 PM Support #542 (Closed): Partner Relationship Quality Measure
I am enquiring about the questions relating to partner relationship quality as part of the adult self-compl...
- 03:34 PM Support #541 (Closed): Health conditions module
- Who is asked about their health (Hcond) please?
The questionnaire indicates that -8=n/a, but the data records 80%+ ...
- 09:07 AM Support #538: missing proxy interviews in wave 1
- Thanks for identifying these cases. xwaveid is the file that provides interview outcomes for all waves. So, I identif...
- 04:55 PM Support #539 (Closed): matlv: Had period of maternity/paternity leave
- I have just checked the questionnaire for waves involved and noticed this question is only asked when:
- 02:22 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Alita,
I have further examined the EGOALT file and believe that I can not use this file for the intended purpose....
- 12:59 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Thank you for the above information. I have examined the EGOALT and I have a question regarding pidp and apidp varia...
- 04:17 PM Support #538 (Closed): missing proxy interviews in wave 1
- Hi, I have been using UKHLS dataset, and I found a few (six cases I found) proxy interview information is missing in ...
- 03:49 PM Support #534 (Closed): Using data for fertility factor study
- 03:49 PM Support #532 (Closed): what is the head of household variable
- 03:49 PM Support #527 (Closed): HoH
- 03:48 PM Support #526 (Closed): Identifying Child Respondents
- 03:48 PM Support #524 (Closed): Geographical identifiers
- 03:47 PM Support #530 (Closed): Proxy interview rules
- 03:46 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- About whether you should use lvag14 or relationship_dv - depends on who you are analysing. relationship_dv tells you ...
- 01:02 PM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi alita,
I am trying to examine those who experienced care versus those who have not by examining educational attai...
- 08:58 AM Support #537: Merged File Request
- Hi Zoe,
Which software are you using for Data Management? We offer guides to merging data files across many waves ...
- 03:25 PM Support #531 (Feedback): Context of blood sampling
- Dear Gaelle,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this. We have gone back to the ...
- 05:55 PM Support #537 (Closed): Merged File Request
- I am wondering if there is a merger file or a way to obtain a merged file for waves 1-5 including the files _egoalt a...
Also available in: Atom